So I had to give a talk in church on Sunday. Previous to this I had successfully avoided having to give a talk for three consecutive years by screening all phone calls from bishopric members, walking the other way when I saw them in the hall, and avoiding "get to know you interviews."
But then I got a new calling as communications co-chair and my co-chair and I had a meeting with the bishop. In the meeting the bishop asked me to speak in sacrament meeting. My co-chair Mike tried to help me out by saying that I was a terrible speaker, maybe the worst he had ever heard, but all to no avail.
So then I had to decide what to talk on. At first I considered talking about faith through trials, then several people suggested that I talk about chastity. Chastity does make a great topic, and I could have talked about avoiding temptation and given real world examples... For instance let's say you're a girl return missionary and you go on a road trip with boys. You should not sleep in the same room with them. Even though you consider yourself to be a strong person. Even the strong can fall Mary... and what kind of an example do you think you are setting for your impressionable older sister... and then I could talk about David and Bathsheba... Yes, chastity would have been an excellent topic, but in the end I decided to talk about worshipping false gods. Though a better topic would have been how to be happy through trials or the evils of sarcasm...
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have not given a talk since the last sunday of 12/2001...
My homecoming talk.
I guess,being a minority in a predominately white community, the bishops think "I NO SPEAK ENGRISH" or something.
I was asked once in 2/2004 but I had to say no since I was going to Vegas that weekend. I would have been willing to talk the week before or after, but I wasn't asked and I wasn't going to offer...
AND WHAT KIND of priesthood holder lets a daughter of Zion sleep in the same cave with boys?!?!?!?!
That's almost as bad as sharing a master bedroom... shame shame shame on the whole lot of the guilty party.
Oh and I have to price gouge. $2.69 for gasoline is painful and it's not like I can make money off my blog.
I don't think I would ever choose to speak on chastity. I gave a talk a few weeks ago on temptations in our life.
oh. delurking by the way. hi.
I was just trying to help you out. It was like watching a deer caught in the head lights of an 18-wheeler. So I just did what I could to prevent the slaughter of one of our wards most precious resources.....the microphone.
Oh, and, uh, you of course.
Post a Comment