I asked Brooke on the way home if getting such enjoyment out of someone's misery was wrong, and she said "No." Yet I still feel a little bad. But just a little. It was the most hilarious thing I'd ever seen; I say this being a very touchy-feely person m'self.
I feel like the invasion of personal space should at least be a case for civil court, if not criminal. There's a woman in my ward who puts her arm over everyone. I think the best on-the-spot response is "That's not okay." Speak clearly and firmly, but with enough of a smile so that they don't think you hate them (We can't let them know, right?)
My friend Andrew thought it would be funny to put his arm around me for an extended period of time. I pretended like it didn't bother me for a good 5 seconds before I squirmed away... plainbellied is right, next time I'm going to say "That's not okay" in a polite but firm voice. Anyway, after everyone saw that I was bothered by this touchy feely attention Collin backed me into a corner and hugged me too. Not cool guys. Not cool.
I'm a guy, but I'm pretty sure my response would be less friendly than Plainbellied's. Probably something along the lines of, "Don't touch me you b*****d!" Among Mormons, that's sure to get attention.
Once, when I was a freshman at BYU, a group on a date (in military garb) heard me cough and put me on the ground to give me "CPR." I said, "Get the f*** off me!" You would be amazed at how quickly they let go and took off.
Anyway, cursing is usually a good tactic for protecting personal space. I don't propose it for normal use, but desperate situations call for desperate measures. Seriously, personal space is an important commodity, and it needs to be protected.
I hope it works for you. It sounds like you were really traumatized, and I think the next guy who forcibly hugs you should get a knee to the groin. He'll deserve it.
11 comments:
Okay, my personal space was invaded and I was hugged.
I asked Brooke on the way home if getting such enjoyment out of someone's misery was wrong, and she said "No." Yet I still feel a little bad. But just a little. It was the most hilarious thing I'd ever seen; I say this being a very touchy-feely person m'self.
I feel like the invasion of personal space should at least be a case for civil court, if not criminal. There's a woman in my ward who puts her arm over everyone. I think the best on-the-spot response is "That's not okay." Speak clearly and firmly, but with enough of a smile so that they don't think you hate them (We can't let them know, right?)
who hugged who?
making fun of people is fun. that is why it is called making "fun"
i was planning on going to ward prayer too... i would have been a good witness in the civil trial. i remember everything.
My friend Andrew thought it would be funny to put his arm around me for an extended period of time. I pretended like it didn't bother me for a good 5 seconds before I squirmed away... plainbellied is right, next time I'm going to say "That's not okay" in a polite but firm voice. Anyway, after everyone saw that I was bothered by this touchy feely attention Collin backed me into a corner and hugged me too. Not cool guys. Not cool.
It would have been nice if you were there Kirk. As my former home teacher maybe you could have protected me from the hugging.
I'm a guy, but I'm pretty sure my response would be less friendly than Plainbellied's. Probably something along the lines of, "Don't touch me you b*****d!" Among Mormons, that's sure to get attention.
Once, when I was a freshman at BYU, a group on a date (in military garb) heard me cough and put me on the ground to give me "CPR." I said, "Get the f*** off me!" You would be amazed at how quickly they let go and took off.
Anyway, cursing is usually a good tactic for protecting personal space. I don't propose it for normal use, but desperate situations call for desperate measures. Seriously, personal space is an important commodity, and it needs to be protected.
I'll try it. I've been looking for an excuse to swear anyway... I have a lot of pent up anger and it has to go somewhere right?
I hope it works for you. It sounds like you were really traumatized, and I think the next guy who forcibly hugs you should get a knee to the groin. He'll deserve it.
Post a Comment