Saturday, January 13, 2007

I'm Not Sure If It Is The Sleep Deprivation Or The Concussion But I Feel Fantastic

So last night at 12 in the a.m. I went sledding with some friends. The first run I went down on a Taboggan dragging my hands. The snow was really hard and there were already two boys at the bottom of the hill lying in the snow in pain and I should have known better but I went anyway. I hit a jump at the bottom of the hill and landed on my tailbone/back and then I too was lying at the bottom of the snow in pain. We lay there for 5-10 minutes and then we all decided to try it again. The boys I was with said they usually are good for about two runs at which point everyone is hurt and they have to go home.

So we got to the top and this time I decided to be gutsy and use the tube. My friend Matt was helpful and gave me a push to start me down. I get going pretty fast and everything is fine until I hit the jump again (by accident) and I lose the tube from out beneath me and I land with the back of my skull hitting first.

I laid there for a sec, and then tried to get up but everything was so dizzy. Jeff, one of the other sledders, came over and told me not to get up and then asked me questions to make sure I was still coherent, luckily I was and I hadn't lost consciousness. I laid there until they thought it was safe to help me to my car, but before I left we actually took pictures first so that we could tout our injuries, I maybe a mild concussion, Jeff hurt his arm, the other kid his tailbone, and Matt somehow walked away from it injury free.

Matt was very concerned though and I think he somehow feels responsible for what happened. He was nice enough to drive me home, and then he called me a half-hour later to try to get me to go to the doctor. I said I thought I was fine. He called 10 minutes later again to try to get me to go. I again said I thought I was fine. Then he called my friend Elise to have her call me to convince me to go. In the end they didn't get me to go to the doctor but they did convince me to wake up my parents and tell them what had happened. And then, apparently after a concussion you aren't supposed to sleep for 4-12 hours, so I stayed awake until 5 with my little sister watching movies and then Matt had me go over to his place to watch them with him until 8:30 just to make sure I wouldn't fall asleep. After that I went home and took a shower and I had to go to traffic school this morning from 10-12. So I've been up for a good 26 hours, so I think I'm going to take a nap now.

All in all, it was a very long night, and the good friend award goes to Matt for being so kind and concerned.

3 comments:

Plainbellied said...

REBECCA! Why don't you talk to me before you do these things!!! When I was 20, I went sledding, with a tube, down a ramp and lost the tube. The people I was with say I flew at least twelve feet. I wish it had just been staying up for 30 some odd hours, but it was straight to the ER for me. I dislocated my hip. They tied me to a toboggan to drag me to the car, and shock started to wear off, at which point the pain set in. They got me into the back of an SUV and drove me on *painfully* bumpy canyon road in American Fork. Once I got to the hospital, I was alert enough to prevent the nurses from cutting my new jeans off of me, but everything was down hill from there. At least I only had to stay one night at the hospital. I had to sleep with a foam triangle strapped between my legs for two weeks, among other things, and I was on crutches for the first two weeks of winter semester at BYU. Once I eve cried just thinking of crossing the law parking lot on crutches to get to B-66 for my ceramics classes. Never Go Down A Ramp Sledding, Especially On A Tube!!!! I'm so glad that you're okay, but maybe you should see a doctor....

rbsp said...

I remember when you were on crutches at BYU from your sledding accident. It was so sad. Sledding is maybe the most dangerous sport ever especially when you go with daredevils and the snow is packed hard. They were sledding down the maybe the worst hill at Canyon Park. I might go to the doctor, so far the only sign of a concussion I've had though is dizziness, if any of the others appear or if I start feeling worse then I'll go to the doctor.

Jancisco said...

Becca,
I'm so sorry that happened! Saddest story ever. . . but you are writing about it rather lucidly, so that is a good sign that your mental capacity has not been altered by the accident.

I, for the record, agree with both of you that tubing is the most dangerous sport ever. I hate it. I don't even mind being uncool by printing this on the internet. I hate tubing. It hurts. It doesn't ever NOT hurt. Whiplash, head injuries, broken bones, flying through the air and landing smack on your back and head on hard-packed ice/snow. I hate it.