Saturday, June 16, 2007

Rope Swinging

Today I went with some kids from my ward to go do some good old fashioned rope swinging. We went to a reservoir with two rope swings that are up in trees. We skipped the first one because while it looked safer there was also a long line to use it. So we went onto the second swing which looked more dangerous, but people were brave and they started going off it. After a little while I decided I wanted to go too. Before I went I was convinced that I would do it well well. I have done some rope swinging in my time though the last time I went was about 4 years ago, but I was sure that I would be just as good now as I was then.

So I climbed up into the tree which is a lot higher than it looks, but I convinced myself that I wasn't scared and that I could do this. Sadly neither of those were true... The secret to doing adventurous/scary/stupid things is to convince yourself that it actually isn't scary. That you've done worse things and in comparison this is not scary. For instance, rope swinging from a tree or even falling from a tree is not nearly as scary or painful say as breaking up with a boy. So I convinced myself of all this, took the rope in my hands and holding on as tight as I could I swung out from the tree and totally biffed it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't biff it, thinking there was no way that could happen since you lift weights (apparently WAY too light) at the gym 3-4 days a week.

You can use the excuse that you're just really tall, too.

I'm 0-for-2.

Ellie said...

Be glad you biffed it...falling from 15 feet up was way fun, but the major bathing suit wedgie from the impact was almost not worth it.