Sunday, June 24, 2007

Planning For The Future

At work on Friday someone came in to talk to us about retirement and IRA's. As our financial advisor was speaking to us he explained that with an IRA you can't touch the money until you're 59. I was about to interrupt him and say that, "I seriously doubt our current monetary system and law based society will last another 35 years, and it might be a better idea instead to invest our money in gold bricks and stockpile them somewhere for the eventual nuclear holocaust and subsequent apocalyspe when our paper money will be devalued." I was going to say this though I know it would have angered him. Financial advisors hate it when you talk about money being devalued and the end of the world, but before I could say it he said that one of the reasons you can take money out of an IRA is for a first time home. So I held my peace because that is something I'm actually interested in... I kind of want to buy a house in the middle of nowhere where. I can paint and no one will ever bother me again.

Then on Saturday morning I was talking to my friend Jan about my life plans and how even though at this point in my life I have no responsibility to tie me down and can pretty much be crazy and do whatever I want, I won't because I'm just to practical. I'd rather save my money for the future. The sad thing is though that someday when I eventually get marrried I will probably just end up paying of my husband's student loans with my money. Jan pointed out to me that this was a bad idea. If that happened it would make me resent my husband and be bad for our relationship. A better idea would just be to spend all my money now on myself, and that is good advice.

3 comments:

Jancisco said...

I'm glad you listened to my sound advise. We are planning to live on loans for the next decade, so take my financial wisdom for what it's worth.

Anonymous said...

So what will you buy? I'm intrigued!

rbsp said...

If I wasn't going to save my money. I would buy a vacuum cleaner. A Dyson cyclone electric, and then spend the rest of the money touring Europe and renting out a place along the Mediterranean for a summer. Somewhere I could be alone and be melancholic.