Tuesday, June 05, 2007

This Doesn't Bode Well

Yesterday for FHE we hiked the Y. I was excited about this because I am prepping for a 10 mile hike in the Grand Canyon later this summer and I need practice.

After the first couple switchbacks of the hike my heart was racing and I was short of breath. Eight switchbacks later I lay at the side of the path as my chest tightened and I almost lost my dinner. At that moment I realized, I'm not in as good of shape as I thought.

I'm going to have to step up my exercise regimen if I'm going to get ready for the Grand Canyon. Instead of exercising once a week, I'm going to have to run a couple miles every other day. I'm also going to have to bulk up on protein. My little sister says the BYU football team eats tuna fish sandwhichs' and pickles so I think that's what I'll do too... I may not come back from the Grand Canyon alive.

2 comments:

Kaakun said...

It's probably because The Y Hike is probably the crappiest hike this side of... well everything.

There is no shade, at the steepest point of the the trail is gravel and the view from the top of the Y looks slightly different than the one from the parking lot.

Anonymous said...

Running? Did you just say you are going running? You know, Rebecca, I am always looking for people to go running with me. Shall we say Saturday? =)