Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Today

I got to work today to find that someone had left a jar of candy on my desk. Apparently, now I'm not only supposed to greet people in a cheerful manner but I'm also supposed to offer them a piece of candy if they look hungry? What is this? We are an IT firm not a candy store. So then I was thinking probably the exact same thing tht you are thinking right now. If a day starts out like this it is bound to be bad, but surprisingly it wasn't. The day actually got progressively better.

We got a shipment of new computer monitor screens in and I got one of them. There was nothing wrong with my old screen but I got one anyway. The new one's LCD is brighter than my last and it has speakers. Sure I never listen to music at work and I'm not really ever supposed to, but it's nice to know they are there all the same.

Then I found out someone was getting fired, and I spent some time daydreaming about how I would fire someone. I could lie and say something like,"Well, we have to make budget cuts and unfortunately you are our lowest grossing salesman so I'm afraid I'm are going to have to let you go." or I could take the honest approach and say, "You know, the thing is you're never actually "at work" anymore you are always off at ambiguous "meetings". Not only that but you are our lowest grossing salesman and there is evidence you may be working for our competition. To sum up you are the worst employee we've ever had. I want you to leave and never come back... and good luck with that whole dishonesty thing."

The bad news is now that this guy got fired I might be the worst employee at our company. While he was there I looked good in comparison, but now I might actually have to get to work on time and be productive.

The day then got even better. I went to Gandolfos after work, not the one in my business park because they closed that one but another one, and they now have frequent dining cards. If I buy 9 sandwhiches I get the 10th free... How good is this day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All this Gandolfo's talk is making me hungry. But in spite of that, Rebecca, I *heart* your Blog. =)