Sunday, February 11, 2007

Relief Society Today

So in Relief Society today they announced that they were going to reinstitute the friendship note box. The girl announcing this explained that this box was for writing nice notes to people. I swear I've never heard that rule before. When she said it several people looked back at me as if to imply that I needed to hear that or something. Jamie and Emily even went so far as to repeat it back to me... Okay, okay I won't write notes telling people I don't want to be friends with them anymore.

Then it was my turn to give an announcement so I went to the front and said we were going to be doing an Enrichment in March and we were passing around a paper for people to write ideas down of what they'd like to do for Enrichment. Some of the submitted ideas were:

  • How to make friends... And KEEP them!
  • Tieing shoes effectively.
  • Burning "Ex-" photos.
  • Saying "No" and meaning it.
  • Effectively avoiding people.
  • "Letting 'EM Down Easy": How to dump friends and family members.
  • Helmeted snow recreation.
  • Recording without commercials: A How to Guide.
  • Learn to say "SUPER" like a pro

These were all written by Jamie and Emily. Further down on the page someone wrote this:

  • Being independent and HAPPY!

Huh, being independent... yeah sure great I'm all for that but what is that last word at the end of the sentence... What are they talking about.

The other nice thing was that I was actually feeling a little discouraged by the fact that people had become offended by some of the notes I had written in the past, but then Brooke wrote me a friendship note it said:

"I think your notes are always nice. Sometimes you just have to tell people
how it is and that is the nicest thing you can do.

I love puppies."

She even drew a ceramic kitten on it. What a good friend.


9 comments:

Kaakun said...

Who is this girl and why do the notes have to be nice? As I recall from my time in the 241st, there was no requirement the notes had to be nice.

and this brooke girl, writes "i love puppies" then draws a cat? Thats just too random for me.

the 241st has gone all cuckoo since I've left...tis a shame.

rbsp said...

It's true Kirk. You were the sanity that was holding us together...

The girl who said the notes had to be nice is new. Clearly she doesn't know how things work yet.

IzeOfLight said...

Best Relief Society ever. Just for the announcements alone. (the other stuff was all fluff)
=)

Kaakun said...

i want to go back to the 241st just to write not nice notes to people that I do not know. Like "thank you for your talk/lesson/conversation. It was long and a bit boring." -An Anti-nice-note-ite.

turtar said...

Were you practicing your profanity in these notes or something?

Kaakun said...

happy v-day.

- A nice-note-ite(that was a nice note, maybe I could move back into the ward...)

rbsp said...

Laura, the announcements were good but let's be honest the lesson was the best part.

rbsp said...

Turtar, sadly, no I wasn't practicing my profanity. I just wrote some notes to people a while back that went something like this:

Dear so and so,

I've decided that you are too happy and that we can now no longer be friends. Please don't talk to me anymore.

Love,

Rebecca

Profanity isn't a bad idea though, maybe in my next anti-nice notes.

rbsp said...

Kirk, thanks for the nice note. I would say Happy Valentines Day back but I really don't believe in this holiday, and let's face it I've really never been good at writing nice notes.

But wait, I'm going to try:

Kirk, I hope you have a lovely day full of sunshine and warm memories.