I was first introduced to the French card game of tarot by some friends who played it until three in the morning on a camping trip we went on. These same friends became more and more obsessed with the highly addictive game, over the next year, to the extent that at social events they isolate themselves in a corner to play their game. In addition, just about anytime you go to their apartment they are playing it. Needless to say after a while a certain amount of social stigma has become associated with those who play the game... There are two kinds of people in this world the ones who play tarot and the ones who do not.
Last night I was over at the apartments early for dessert night. I had some time to kill and my friend Matt offered to teach me how to play tarot. It is a lot like the game of diminishing Rook which I really like so I thought I might just learn to play the game. What could it hurt? As Matt was teaching me the game he warned me though not to tell my good friend Jenny that he had taught me. She, like most people, does not like tarot or those who play it.
So we played a couple rounds and I was getting the hang of it. When the door swings open and there stands Jenny and my friend Mike. I push the stack of cards in front of me away and feign innocence. "Jenny, it's not what it looks like... Wait, what are these cards I thought we were playing Go Fish..."
Jenny heads for the door: "I can't believe you Rebecca. Text me when you guys are done playing that stupid game."
Me: "Wait stay here, we have only played a couple hands. I can quit anytime I want."
Jenny: "You keep telling yourself that."
But really I can quit anytime I want. I only play tarot socially. Even if I was addicted what could it hurt. It's only a card game.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I side with Jenny on this one. There is no casual Tarot.
Thank you Nicole.
Seriously Rebecca. They don't make patches for this kind of stuff. Once you're hooked, you're hooked. Watch yourself. Don't say I didn't warn you!!
Jenny you would like the game if you gave it a chance. I played a few games and I was able to quit. Ok, I think the game is mostly dumb, maybe because the game was made by the french, it is difficult to score, and every time I play new rules and scoring methods pop up that were never shared before.
The most important part of Tarot, which you must not have experienced yet, is when you play a card and someone tells you that you're idiotic. That's nice...it's good for the self-esteem. :)
That makes it easier to quit, of course... :)
Post a Comment