Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Please Stop Talking To Me

So my official job description is marketing but since I work at a small company I also get to sit at the front desk and greet people. I am also the best looking one at the company... no it's true.

Anyway, as I sit at the front desk, people for some reason feel like they can talk to me. They talk to me all day about what I'm working on or how I'm doing. Look, I need to get work done and I'm sure you do too.

This morning I went into work, and I wasn't in a very good mood even though I had gotten lots of sleep last night (7.5 hours). And I walked to my desk and one of the other employees Peter was like, "Here is the happy front desk person. The happy front desk person, why don't you smile." Now normally I like Peter he jokes around and is fun to talk to, but nothing makes me madder than someone telling me to smile in the morning. I have a hard enough time smiling at other times, but in the morning when I have just dragged myself out of bed, and driven to work in freezing temperatures and am still trying to figure out why on earth I continue to struggle at my seemingly futile existence, and someone tells me to smile. Keep your happiness to yourself. Just because your happy doesn't mean you have to drag us all in with you. Okay?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, amen. I miscarried yesterday and nearly slapped several cheery people who tried to chit-chat in the elevator as I was going back and forth to the pharmacy.

rbsp said...

That's so sad. I'm sorry Laura. This is what is wrong with happy people they don't always realize that everyone else around them isn't happy and they aren't sympathetic or empathetic to that.

rbsp said...

I'll send you my cotton candy machine if you want it might make you feel better. I know it has done wonders for me.

Jancisco said...

Becca, you're a freakin model. You could make that statement "I'm the best looking one here" anywhere you go!

And I think you should. Publicly and unashamedly.