Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I Went To Court Today

I went to court today to discuss my traffic ticket. I've never been to court before the experience was all new and magical. At the door they make you check any metal items you may have and also there is a new law, apparently, you can't bring a cell phone with a camera in it into the building. I'm not sure why this is, maybe the lighting is particulary bad in court rooms and any pictures taken would be unflattering to those in attendance. People in court are so vain. So anyway I had to take my cell phone back out to my car. I have some friends who call their cell phone their gun. So I couldn't take my gun into court with me I had to leave it out in the car.

Anyway, so I go in and I was hoping to be arraigned before a judge, but no such luck. I actually just had to go talk to a girl sitting in an office with a computer. It was very anti-climatic, as this blog post is turning out to be. So I give her my ticket and I tell her I'm interested in traffic school as I have no previous violations. She takes my ticket looks it up in the computer and tells me it isn't in the system. At this point I wanted to lean across the desk and say, "Well then how about we don't put it in the system. You seem like a nice person. Why don't we just keep this between you and me." But I knew that law clerks such as herself would frown on that sort of thing. The law to them is very black and white, there is no middle ground. Either you broke the law or you didn't and if you did you will pay. There is no redemption which is something I'm used to... I use it on a daily basis. So in the end I did pay my debt to society all $82 dollars of it. I could have spent that money on lots and lots of food, I'm never speeding again.

No comments: