My friend Jake recently had a kidney stone. The bad thing was that he was in a lot of pain. The good thing was he had to be on pain killers for a week and a half. There is nothing funner than having a friend on painkillers with almost no reasoning power. He would say funny things like, "the mountains are so beautiful," and gaze up at the ceiling during PEC... He did some other funny things, things he doesn't remember and that I best not get into on this blog.
He also got into a relationship while on drugs. I think thats the way to do it. Heavy painkillers, no reasoning power if I had painkillers I don't think a relationship would be so bad.
I was hoping he'd be on painkillers forever, but then he had an interview at a med-school, which for some reason he thought it would be better to be sober for, so he decided to have his kidney stone aborted. It was sad really. He had named it Peter (Petras means stone). That's as close to childbirth that Jake will ever come.
Later Kelly and I were looking through the Friend and happened upon this article. It seems almost as though it was written just for Jake.
some excerpts from the story:
“He’s not acting like himself,” He wondered what that meant, but he didn’t really care.
All he knew was how weak and uncomfortable he felt and how much he wanted the pain to go away.
Finally, Jake fell asleep. He didn’t know how long he slept, but it seemed like days had passed when he finally cracked open his eyes. He was starting to feel better. Two days later, he was well enough to go home.
“What happened to me in the hospital?” Jake asked
“You were too sick to know what was going on,” Mom said. “You were delirious.”
Thursday, October 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow something about living in 207 and being white...
Timp Gateway 207 hates white people.
Watch out Bruce. Or else it'll give you a stone next.
Post a Comment