Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Google Maps

Sometimes when I am getting directions to a place on Google Maps I click the walking icon, just for fun, to see how long it would take me to walk somewhere... for example:

It would take me 8 hours and 26 minutes to walk to Ikea from my house.

It would take 13 days and 21 hours to walk from my house to Juno, Alaska. Though when I type this in I get several warnings like: Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths. This route includes a ferry. This route crosses through Canada... The last warning is perhaps the most ominous. The trip has 303 steps, some of them are pretty straight forward, others not so much.

235. Turn left
459 ft



236. Slight left
.04 mi


I can only imagine being lost in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness and taking a "slight" left.

I also looked up directions from my house to Hong Kong. Unfortunately Google Maps could not compute this.

Google Maps actually has a hard time computing anything outside the United States. Which is annoying but understandable because let's face it, the United States is the only country that really matters...

Though I haven't asked it the best way across the Mexican border into the United States yet. I bet it gets asked that a lot.

4 comments:

Kaakun said...

if you get driving directions to Japan from New York you get told to jet ski across the Pacific...

rbsp said...

lol, nice...

Aaron Garza said...

i heard there's a new tunnel to California. i'm awaiting word on whether good will confirm this.

Tod said...

For further spelling advice, you spelled Juneau wrong... maybe I can be your editor. Or maybe I can shut my mouth. Either way there are many ways to cross the border into the US.