Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Trip to California: A History in Pictures

A couple weeks ago myself and five friends set out for California... These are our stories...


To begin with we split into two cars which would later become known as the two cliques of the trip... It was me, Kristi and Collin in one car and Jenny, Bruce and Mike in the other. Poor Jenny stuck with two boys... Our clique was obviously cooler and we took every opportunity to let the other clique know that.



We drove 12 hours down to San Diego. The first day there we went to Disneyland, courtesy of Mike who works for Disney and got us all in for FREE... Thanks Mike!

I was really excited to go to Disneyland, and as a seasoned veteran of Disneyland I knew the importance of getting there right when it opens and the lines are short... So I made everyone get up early and rush out of the apartment so we could get there on time. So much so that Bruce forgot his wallet... Am I sorry? No... Would I do it again? Yes...


Parking at Disneyland. Yes, they are handicapped...



The tram ride into Disneyland. We are all so happy, but would it last...(foreshadowing)




The first ride we went on was Indiana Jones, not my favorite ride, but still a good one.


The second ride we went on was Pirates... my favorite.


Then we went on Splash Mountain where we convinced Collin(who had never been to Disneyland before) that he should sit in the front of the ride. This is him after. The bottom of his pants were the only things that didn't get wet... sucker...


We went on a couple more rides before meeting up with Jenny's family. Matt her little brother (picture left) was at Disneyland for a DECA competition. Her brother Jeff(picture center) and sister-in-law Wendy who live in Newport also came with their darling kids.



We went on the teacups and then it's a small world. Wendy was a riot, and I was glad the rest of Jenny's family came to hang out with us. For those of you who don't know Willardsons=fun... We went on a couple more rides with the kids and then Wendy and Matt came with us to California Adventure.




First we went on Soarin, which I am not going to lie, it was scary for me... I later got made fun of for it. Yes, I know it's an optical illusion, but it felt real to me.


Then we went on a rapids/raft ride. Collin donned a windbreaker to make sure he didn't get soaked for the second time that day. From left to right Me, Collin, Kristi, and Bruce.


From left to right Mike, Jenny, and Matt.


Kristi laughs at Collin.

I laugh at Collin... This is by far the best picture of the day.


We hung out in California Adventure until it got late and then went back over to Disneyland for the fireworks show.

We sit on mainstreet waiting for the nightly fireworks to start. Always the opportunist Collin takes this chance to feel up Kristi's leg.

After the fireworks we went on a couple more rides.
In line for Space Mountain, the last ride of the day. Collin laughs and I smile as I think of ways to kill him and make it look like an accident.


We joked about the swine flu a lot while we were there. In this picture... speak no swine flu, hear no swine flu, and ... Well, we'll just leave it at... Collin should never reproduce.


By the end of the day we were all so tired. We got there at 9 and stayed until it closed at midnight. In total, we were there 15 hours.



We can barely keep our eyes open on the tram ride back to the cars.



The next day we were all still pretty tired so we took it easy and hung out at the pool.



In the evening we went and got Mexican food and then walked around the gallery district in San Diego and then walked down to La Jolla beach.





Iconic... some say I made this picture, some say I ruined it, but all I know is that there is no way I was holding Mike's hand...


After the beach we went back and did some swimming/hot tubbing.


The other clique takes pictures of themselves underwater.


We talk about how annoying it is that the other clique is taking pictures of themselves under water.



The next day we went up to Newport to visit Jenny's family. In this picture we are taking the ferry over to Balboa.

We played some bocci ball.


Walked on the beach.


Bought cookies.



Then met up with Jeff, Tyler(who was also down in California that weekend, which was fun), and these cute kids.


We made some mud balls, and then threw them into the water.


Then we left the beach and all headed to Jeff and Wendy's where Wendy had made dinner for all of us. Thanks Wendy!!



The next day we went and got breakfast and then went for a bike ride.



While on the bike ride we passed a group of black teens who made fun of me... I get it. I'm white I'm not cool, but you don't have to shove it in my face.


Later we tried our hands at snorkeling. I had never snorkeled before, or worn flippers in the ocean... 15 minutes after this picture was taken I washed up on shore.



That night we went to a Padres game.


There was a kids group dancing and doing jumping jacks at the game. I bet Collin $5 he wouldn't go dance with them. He did it... It was pretty funny... and then I was out $5 so I learned never to bet Collin to do anything again.


The next day we all drove home... that's it, that's the end of our trip.

8 comments:

jenny said...

You had no mention of the Girl Car. I'm hurt. And to be fair, I took no pictures of myself underwater. So please don't generalize that fact to the second clique. Because we didn't all participate. I love this blog! It is everything I wanted my California blog to be. But instead mine was just one picture.

ww said...

HO AND LLER! What better way to leave my first I'm-not-psycho-for-reading-your-blog-because-you've-now-met-me comment?! I have waited for this moment for so very long.

If my kids weren't so adorably perfect in these pictures, I might have been distracted by how you're rockin the white suit. You obviously didn't eat enough lasagna.

Kaakun said...

In all my time in CA... I never knew anyone snorkeled around here... since there is nothing but kelp...and Great Whites and yeah...

I would be a bit disappointed you didn't say hi, but the last CA adventure was... well.. yeah.

rbsp said...

Ha, ha, thanks Wendy!! Yes, I am rockin that swimsuit... too bad I can't compete with your kids... Why am I always being upstaged by children... next time the kids get their own post and I get my own so people can fully recognize how cute I am.

Kirk-yes, sorry I didn't say hi... it's just that I have these bad memories from the last time I was in California and this Asian kid was constantly yelling at me... I thought it would be best for our friendship if we didn't repeat that.

jenny said...

Rebecca- Thanks for giving everyone a shout out in your previous comment but me. Glad to know where our friendship stands.

rbsp said...

Ha, ha, sorry I just couldn't think of anything funny to say in response to your comment...

Kaakun said...

yeah... apparently we don't do well in CA... i blame it on all the sun and moisture in the air.

rbsp said...

Yeah, that was probably what it was...