Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Day I Ruined Christmas

Each year in my family one of child gets the responsibility of picking out the Christmas tree for the family. We do this because it cuts down on the arguing and bloodshed over which tree to get. This year it was my turn to decide.


Going into it I didn't have any real preconcieved notions about what kind of tree I wanted. All I knew is that I wanted to make the decision fast, and get out of there. One year my little sister made us spend three hours in a tree lot in sub-freezing weather trying to decide on a tree, that wasn't going to happen this year.


So the first lot we went to didn't really have much of a selection so we went across the parking lot to another tree lot. They had a good selection of the kind of tree we usually get, big and bushy with stout needles. I was looking through them trying to find one that was perfectly symmetrical with a well proportioned taper, when I saw these two spindly trees at the back. It was love at first sight. I asked my brothers and sisters what they thought of them. They were like, "Eh, they're okay." but Mary definitely did not like them. Even better I thought. It turns out the trees were too tall so we went to another tree lot with a larger selection of the variety I liked. Mary tried to get me to meet halfway by picking out trees that were the kind I liked but still bushy. "To full," I'd say to every tree she picked out. "I want less braches."
Mary: "then it will only be a stick."
Me: "Yes, that's what I want."
After an hour and a half we came back with this little number.



Note: It is not my boyfriend in the picture but my little brother. I am and still remain terribly single.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd give good money to see such exchanges as these between Mary and Rebbs. =)

rbsp said...

We will adopt you so you can, or you can just hang out around 207 when Mary and I are both there... It can get pretty heated.