Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Dating Game

Recently (as in the past 3 months) I've gone on a number of first dates. For me I have just one goal on any first date and that is to keep talking... no matter what happens someone must be talking at all times. It might be irrational, but I never want to find out what happens if someone isn't talking.

So in order to keep the conversation going I throw back into question mode, in which I will ask a boy any and all questions that pop into my little head. While the boy is answering these questions I rarely listen to what he is saying, instead I am thinking of something else or disengaging completely. It usually goes something like this...

Me: "So you've traveled a lot? Where have you been?"
Him: "I've traveled a lot in the US, been to China..."
Me (in my mind): "He seems nice. Is he really nice or does he just seem that way? Does he like me? I think maybe he likes me. Do I like him? Where is this going in the grand scheme of things?"
Him:"but I really haven't traveled that much."
Me:"Hmmm... interesting"
Me(in my mind): I didn't hear a word he just said.

So usually at the end of a first date I don't know a boy any better than I did at the beginning.

3 comments:

More Bacon said...

I totally know that feeling.

Bre said...

glad to know I'm not the only one.

Tod said...

I have dating advice--do what George did in the Seinfeld episode "The Opposite" and do everything opposite from that which you normally do.