Sunday, April 07, 2013

Les Miserables

Tonight I had a chill night and watched Les Miserables.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I an a HUGE Les Mis snob.  It's true.  You can ask anyone who knows me.  It's annoying.  I read the unabridged version in high school.  I even made it through the 8 chapters dedicated to Waterloo and the ten chapters about the Paris sewer system.  Well maybe I just skimmed those chapters.

But I really loved it, though at times a touch wordy.  Since then I have been pointing out the inaccuracies of its various reproductions to anyone who would listen.  Few people would.  It's weird people always change the subject an hour into that conversation.  I don't get it maybe they just don't like the French or something.

ANYWAY, some thoughts on the movie:

Surprisingly Anne Hathaway was not the worst one in the film it was actually Russell Crow.  Anne Hathaway was actually pretty good.  I daresay she deserved that Oscar.   I'm as surprised as you are.

Two, I thought it was funny that Gavroche had a thick English accent.  It's funny that whenever Hollywood makes a foreign film the characters always have English accents, if they're French, Japanese, it doesn't matter... it's all the same to us.  We just lump them all in with that country we beat the pants off of all those years ago.  I'm surprised we even take the time to learn other countries names.  Does it really matter?  They're not us...  It's weird that the rest of the world hates us.

Three, there were more barricades in heaven than I thought there would be.

5 comments:

bh said...

I'd seen Les Mis in London and on Broadway and I didn't realize Fantine became a prostitute till I saw the movie... So good job, Anne, on helping me realize something that was blatantly obvious.

Mary Jones said...

Totally agree Rebs about the accuracy factor, I have been hesitant to watch this movie for that very reason, maybe it is safe to go see it though... Only with your recommendation though!

rbsp said...

Haha Brooke,yep Anne's skills are improving slightly... slightly...

Well Mary, it wasn't totally accurate but it bugged me a lot less than other versions I've seen... I think it is worth seeing, though you may want to fast forward through some parts.

Michael Hoopes said...

You still read books?! Lol. You realize you don't neeb to learb how to do that anymore, right? Because of internets.

rbsp said...

true, very true...