Sunday, April 11, 2010

Inheritance

So tonight my parents passed around a list to all of us kids with all their physical assets listed on it. It includes things like furniture, antiques, family heirlooms. The idea is that they want us to look at the list and mark what we want when they die or even sooner because they are trying to pare down their stuff.

While we were looking at the list Liz found a number of things on the list that belong to her for instance a badminton set, a bench... that apparently my parents think belong to them. Unfortunately for her she realized this mistake too late... I already marked down that I wanted them... sorry Liz...

Most of the things on the list I don't want such as: my Dad's collection of train movies, a doll house, a lathe... but there are a couple items of actual value on the list that we are all going to be fighting over such as a revolutionary war rifle, my Grandma's wedding ring, and a huge painting of a town in Germany from the 1900's.

I am already working on my bargaining skills/plan of attack for these items. Truthfully there are only a couple things that I want BUT I plan to pretend to want anything that someone else wants and then give it up in exchange for what I want. For example, "Yes, Mary you can have that mink coat, as long as I can have the painting." That way everyone wins, or at least they think they are winning in actuality I am the only one winning.

Mary, Liz, and I all want my Grandmothers wedding ring. I don't know why Mary wants it she already has a husband and a wedding ring, sheesh Mary how selfish can you be.

In addition, I've decided to take some things early, when I eventually do get my own place... "What, Grandma's silver? I haven't seen it. I don't know where that could be..."

No comments: